Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Angels & Demons: The movie

I know, a lot of movies this week. I'm trying to keep my mind occupied, what can a girl say?


If you've been following my tweets, I've re-read 'Angels & Demons' by Dan Brown before watching the movie and that probably wasn't the best idea. I'd forgotten a lot from the book so the changes they had made in the movie probably wouldn't have been as apparent. But I enjoyed the book a whole lot when I read it the first time and so I wanted to re-read it before the movie potentially destroyed the reading experience. Now I have to say that almost always, books are better than the movies derived from them - one exception: 'The Reader' - so I tend to read the book before watching the movie. I like the tension in not knowing the ending and I feel like knowing the end will ruin a book far more than it will ruin a movie.

'Angels & Demons' was a big disappointment to me because they changed so much of the story and they left out so many interesting twists. They also mentioned Robert Langdon's recent history with the church numerous times, which is something I don't remember from the book at all. Since I don't remember 'The Da Vinci Code' that well, this kind of confused and annoyed me. I have to say I really liked Ayelet Zurer as Vittoria Vetra, even though I would have preferred it if they had given her a bigger, or more emotional role. Tom Hanks on the other hand did not wow me at all. Not that his acting was bad, but there just wasn't much of it, I felt he was somehow unemotional throughout the movie.

All in all, I don't think it's worth going to the cinema to watch the movie and I will probably not watch it on TV again either, I'd very much rather re-read the book again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually liked Angels and Demons movie much better than the Da Vinci Code movie. And yes I was annoyed by the constant refering to his "previous adventure" because chronologically, A&D happens before DVC. The Angels book came out before the Da Vinci one, but only rose to attention after Da Vinci Code had made its shockwave.