Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Revolution on Revolutionary Road indeed

HUGE spoiler warning, as in I will write about the movie's ending!




I just came back from watching Revolutionary Road and I must say, this movie spoke from my heart! I can't even put into words how much I can relate to April, the film's main character. The movie is set in 1950s suburbia. The main characters, Frank (Leonardo DiCaprio) and April Wheeler (Kate Winslet), live their life according to society's expectations: two kids, Frank works at an office while April runs the household and everything seems just perfect.


Except, it isn't. Neither of them does what they really want to do and when April comes up with the idea of moving to Paris, they seem to finally break free from all restrictions. Only, life happens and as their plans fall apart, their marriage and love does as well. In the end, April tries to abort the third baby that she really does not want to have and ends up killing herself. Within the first 30 minutes of the movie, I thought that she would end up killing herself, even if it wasn't intentional. It's understandable, really, when your own husband forces you to live a life that you despise.


I just loved everything about this movie. The music was amazing, the acting and cast (Kathy Bates, Kathryn Hahn, David Harbour, Michael Shannon) impressive and everything about how the story was told was just right. The Golden Globe for 'Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama' was definitely well deserved. This movie portrays one of my greatest fears - to be trapped in a life that's so ordinary that you suffocate in 'the hopeless emptiness of the whole life'. There are so many great quotes I could write down now, but I just want to encourage you to visit the film's official site to listen to some, in case you haven't seen the movie yet and need some more encouragement to go see it.

No comments: