Wednesday, December 10, 2008

2008 AfterEllen Visibility Awards

I love how interactive AfterEllen is. Not only do people comment on and discuss articles and blog posts, members also get to vote on the hot 100 and this year on certain categories of the AE Visibility Awards. In the first round we nominated people in different categories and in the second round, the nominees with the most mentions are up for voting. I nominated Sarah Warn as 'Lesbian/Bi Woman of the Year', but I guess most people didn't think of nominating the AE staff (except in the 'Couple of the Year' category).

I found it really hard to vote in certain categories, mainly because I didn't know all nominees. House is nominated as 'Best Scripted Series on Broadcast TV with Regular or Recurring Lesbian/Bi Characters (American)' and I love House, but how they treat Thirteen's bisexuality doesn't score any gay points with me. I absolutely love Melissa Etheridge, but she wasn't as visible this year as the other three bands. And then they make me decide between Ellen DeGeneres, Rachel Maddow and Wanda Sykes as 'Lesbian/Bi Woman of the Year (American)'. I think I know why they let us vote on these categories - it's just too hard for them to decide ;-).

My favorite categories? 'Lesbian/Bi Woman of the Year (American)'

'Lesbian/Bi Couple of the Year (American)'

  • Bridget McManus and Karman Kregloe
  • Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi - I voted for Ellen and Portia because they got married this year and because Ellen is so visibly gay this year
  • Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson
  • Rachel Maddow and Susan Mikula,
and 'Best Straight Ally'

  • Brooke Smith
  • Eden Riegel
  • Jennifer Beals
  • Keith Olbermann
  • Tina Fey.
I think that list isn't even complete, but choosing just one best straight ally is so hard. I mean that special comment that Keith Olbermann gave was without a doubt absolutely amazing. Brooke talking about how hot Sara is and that she wanted her character to be gay? So genuine and cool. Tina Fey making funny comments on lesbians and Jennifer Beal's amazing speeches? How to choose?

I can't wait for the results to be published December 18th, that's for sure! So if you haven't, go over to AE to vote and let your voice be heard!

No comments: