Friday, December 5, 2008

My Weekend Crush


I’m shamelessly stealing this idea from Dorothy Surrenders, whose Weekend Crush this weekend is: Allison Janney.

I've been a member of AfterEllen for 5 years 48 weeks as of today. That is long, considering that according to wikipedia, Sarah founded AE in April 2002. At first I mainly visited the boards, but I started reading the articles on shows that were on in Austria too after a while. I remember the site having no ads and no vlogs and no blog, just Sarah writing about stuff that interested her.

I think what Sarah did is pretty amazing - she missed a news site on lesbian entertainment and decided to create it herself. To say that her endeavor was successful is an understatement. A brothersite, AfterElton, was created in April 2005 and in 2006, Logo bought both sites, leaving Sarah as an executive producer at Logo and the editor in chief of AE. AfterEllen supports lesbian and bisexual artists, giving them a chance to be discovered by 700,000 readers a month.

Sarah is definitely a woman I look up to. She was able to transform her hobby into her daytime job. She is compassionate, intelligent - Harvard alumna!! - and witty. In short, Sarah Warn rocks!