Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Perez and Miss California controversy

First off, I have to say that I don't know much about the Miss USA pageant - I guess knowledge from Miss Congeniality doesn't really count - and I don't know how important the pageant actually is. That said, I still have an opinion about what happened during last weekend's event.

I think if you haven't read about that yet, watching Perez Hilton on Larry King will probably give you all the information you need.

I'm surprised by how Miss California answered the question, since her answer was just factually wrong. Americans do not have the right to choose between same-sex and 'opposite' marriage (is that really what it's called??)! There are only four states in which gay marriage is legal, so I wouldn't call that a choice. Four out of fifty. That's 8 percent. Approximately eight percent of the population has a choice, which I guess is about the same percentage of Americans who are queer. That is what really bothers me most, she has her facts wrong. It's not her opinion, it's her facts!

What I like most about this story is that Perez did a great job on Larry King, he seems professional and stands up for his and our rights. Yes, I wish he wouldn't call her any words, but apart from that, he comes across as well-informed and honest about his intentions. He can be really mean on his blog, but with this interview he did catch my attention as someone who deserves respect for how he stands up for the LGBT community.

1 comment:

{{ d a n i m o }} said...

wow, i've never seen perez so somber. thanks for sharing! :)

i was at my so's house when the pageant was on but i had no desire to watch it so, not unwontedly, i went to his bedroom and played around on the internet instead of watching with his parents. :P