Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Milk

"I am Harvey Milk and I'm here to recruit you!"

I finally went and saw Milk last night and I absolutely loved the movie! I got goosebumps numerous times through the movie and the end almost moved me to tears. Since everyone already knows how it will end, they start out right at the end, with Harvey taping his last words in case he is assassinated. I think they did a great job with that, showing scenes of him taping himself where they fit into the storyline. I really, really wish I could have seen that movie in English, because I just know that it would have been that much better.

The actors and actresses (or, more likely - actress) were really amazing and the chemistry between Sean Penn as Harvey and James Franco as his boyfriend Scott made their relationship seem so real and genuine. Alison Pill was absolutely adorable with her curly hair and she and Emile Hirsch were just so funny and likeable and cute. Josh Brolin, on the other hand, did an eerily good job at portraying the tormented character of Dan White, who had his world turned upside down and was completely unable to adjust to that.

What the movie in general did was give me a sense of community that I miss here. Yes, there exists a LGBT-community in my hometown, but it is mostly occupied with itself and its members. The community helps people come out, generally support its members and throws awesome parties, but there is little political activism. I would love to go out on the streets and demonstrate, like they did all over America because of Prop 8, but that's just not happening here. I really am disappointed that I was not able to be part of the opposition to Prop 8, because I would have just loved to go out there and demonstrate for equal rights. Just the way I would love to demonstrate for women's rights, not that these kinds of demonstrations take place here either.

During one or two scenes, the movie seemed a tad bit lengthy, which would be my only criticism. I wasn't really surprised by how few women were in the movie, but it still caught my attention. I'm going to guess and say that at that time, the Castro was mainly a gay district, as in mostly populated by gay men. Overall, I think Dustin Lance Black did a tremendous job with the screenplay (hence, the Oscar), there were just so many lines in the movie that resonated with me. I also have to repost Dustin's acceptance speech, since his words are such an important message.



If you haven't yet the movie yet, I can only say: What are you waiting for? Go, see it right now, buy it on DVD, support it any way you can. Because it's a great movie about a great human being, who just happened to end up fighting for his rights, doing an absolutely awesome job at it.

No comments: