Thursday, June 5, 2008

In the Valley of Elah

I'm back from watching "In the Valley of Elah" and I think it's a good movie. I wonder how much you can say that you like a movie that has such a sad subject, but the acting was great, they captured the vibe and atmosphere (for the lack of a better word, a word I just can't think of right now) perfectly and I liked the pace of the movie. It was very slow, at times a bit too slow, but the pace just really fit the subject. Basically, the movie is about a soldier who returns from Iraq and then disappears. His father, played by Tommy Lee Jones, tries to find him, but then his body is found. Charlize Theron plays a cop who tries to find out what happened to him and who killed him. Susan Sarandon plays the soldier's mother and I thought she was really great, even though her role was just a minor part, but I haven't seen Susan Sarandon in a role like that before. The movie is really rather sad, it mainly shows the effect the war has on the young soldiers and how it changes them. "In the Valley of Elah" is based on a true story.

Update: I completely forgot about that - When I bought my ticket, the girl - who, btw, was really cute!! - at the box office asked for my id. Apparently, the movie is rated NC-18 (does that exist?) which I can't quite comprehend, because the body parts you see are not any worse than on CSI. I went alone and at first was afraid that I shouldn't have gone alone, but it really wasn't bad at all.

No comments: