Wednesday, June 4, 2008

It's over, isn't it?

Image @ PoliGazette

According to Sen. Barack Obama and various media outlets, Sen. Barack Obama is the official democratic nominee. Sen. Hillary Clinton has not admitted defeat, but I guess that's just a matter of time. It's been five months since the primaries started and in another five months, Americans will vote a new president - either Sen. John McCain or Sen. Barack Obama. While I would have preferred Sen. Clinton to get the nomination, I would now support Sen. Obama if I could.


This is the first American presidential election that I've followed and been interested in - mainly because of my age. What I've learned so far:
  • America is not the biggest democracy anymore - India is
  • You have to be rich, have rich friends and be accepted by the media to only even get a chance to become the president - not exactly very democratic, is it?
  • The media plays such an important role, I wonder whether that's different in Europe or whether I just don't notice it
  • A two-party system would not satisfy me, even though our political landscape is in no way satisfying
  • I'm not educated enough to really grasp the whole concept - who stands for what, who wants to do what, how does that affect the economy,...
Anyways, just wanted to mention some of these things, I can't wait what will happen in the next 5 months, in such a long period of time, everything can change and yet everything can stay the same as well. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.


I'm currently spending way too much time doing homework, writing papers... for my French class. I spend more time working for French than for the 3 other classes combined - there's a failure in this system, right? I can't wait to get this term over with, then I'll be officially done with my languages and if I don't like Spanish, I'll just stop taking it. That's how easy it can be. Unless, of course, I mess up the French paper, then I can do it all again - which I really do not want to! Apart from university, not much is going on right now, as usual. I try to work out regularly, spend way too much time online, but I've cut down my TV consumption - I only watch 4 shows a week (The Closer, CSI Miami, House, CSI Las Vegas), 2 are reruns, so I don't mind if I don't catch them. How did that happen? Anywho, I'll write about the party I went to on friday (Sonnendeck) later, better get going or else I won't be finished till midnight.

No comments: