Tuesday, June 10, 2008

UEFA Euro 2008

Today, the first game of the UEFA Euro 2008 in Innsbruck will take place. I'm not a big soccer fan and normally don't watch it on TV, but when such a big event like this takes place right in front of your door, there's no way to avoid it. So, I gave in to this whole circus and I have already watched two games in "Public Viewing Areas". Public Viewing seems like an English word to Germanspeakers, but its not. Basically, public viewing means that huge screens are put up at certain places around town and fans can watch the game there. The first game I saw was Austria vs Croatia and to be honest, I only saw the last 15 minutes. But that was fun, because the fans were really into it and "our" team nearly shot a goal a few times, so to watch the reactions of the fans was great. The second game I saw was Germany vs Poland, but I only saw the first part and the first goal. In Innsbruck, there are a lot of Germans who study here and so the crowd was in a great mood as well. And today, the first game (Spain vs Russia) here will take place and I have to admit I'm a bit anxious because I live right in between the soccer stadium and the city centre and main train station. So all the fans who will follow the game in the statium will walk past my appartment on their way home. I just hope that everything goes smoothly, the police is alert and there are so many policemen and policewomen that there shouldn't be a problem. Side note: I've seen some really cute policewomen - women in uniforms provide a certain attraction to me ;-). So, wish me luck!

Update 1: It started raining about 15 minutes before the game started, so no public viewing for me! Just as I left the university, the storm started, with thunder and lightning, and I didn't have an umbrella or even a jacket with me :( I don't think I ever rode home faster with my bike.

Update 2: Everything went smoothly, Spain won 4:1, but the Russian fans behaved and the fans were surprisingly quiet. I didn't even really notice them walking past my appartment! I just saw them, that's all. Hm, I like it that way :)

No comments: