Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Weekend Crush

I’m shamelessly stealing this idea from Dorothy Surrenders, whose Weekend Crush this weekend is: on all of you who will exercise your First Amendment Rights at the National Day of Protest Saturday.

When I was a kid, I loved, loved, loved 'Sister Act'. I completely adored Whoopi Goldberg and wanted to be the kid in all of her movies. I loved watching 'Corrina, Corrina' and 'Bogus' even though these were sad movies. Movies that dealt with death and grief, but they had something inherently positive and hopeful. The older I got, the more respect I developed for Whoopi. I found out about her involvement with feminist organizations and put this picture on the wall in my room:

I realized how she must have struggled being a woman of color in Hollywood, yet she never lost her sense of humor. I saw parts of 'The Color Purple' and was completely blown away by her amazing acting. Naturally, I always knew that she was talented, but this role really showed her acting abilities.

When Rosie left 'The View', I thought that I would stop watching it. But then I found out that Whoopi would be on and that spiked my interest. Sometimes, I wonder how Joy and Whoopi can sit next to Sherry and Elizabeth and not want to smack them over the head. But Whoopi keeps her cool and tries as often as possible to bring in her opinion and be a voice of reason.



And because it was her birthday this week: Happy Birthday, Whoopi!! Thanks for being an ally.

(I'm sorry that this is so late, I'm having a bad weekend.)

No comments: